Dealer Finds Market for Used Rialta Motorhomes

Print Print

April 27, 2009 by   26 Comments

Rialta Heaven Inc., a small outfit in the northern Indiana community of Milford, is marketing used Winnebago Rialta Class C motorhomes, last built by the Forest City, Iowa, manufacturer in 2005, on a limited national basis as “Earth Friendly RVs” because of their high fuel  mileage and wind-cutting aerodynamics.rialta-sales-lot

“Over the last two years, we’ve sold about 200 of them,” said Karen Rowland, co-owner and sales manager. “We find them  all over the country”

Built on the 7,275-pound GVWR Volkswagen extended Eurovan cutaway chassis with a 6-cylinder Volkswagen gas engine that in the later years of production were rated at 201-hp, the sleek, low-profile Rialta today would be considered a “B-plus” style motorhome due to the lack of a cabover compartment. Typically, 22-foot Rialtas get 18-21 mpg, Rowland said.

Winnebago built about 8,000 Rialtas from 1994 to 2005; Volkswagen quit building the chassis in 2003.

Like others in the RV industry, however, Rialta Heaven, located in a former used-car lot on Ind. 15, has experienced a downturn since late last year. ”This time last year, we were selling half-a-dozen a month,” Rowland said. ”Since September, times have been tough.”

Depending on mileage — usually with fewer than 50,000 miles on the odometer — prices typically range from $22,000 to $50,000. Currently, the company has five Rialta’s and a Winnebago Vista, a true Class C built on the Eurovan chassis with a cabover sleeping compartment.

2-rialtas

“Rialtas are very popular,” Rowland said. “Once people get to know them, they find the Rialta is small and easy to drive. And they are totally self-contained — bigger than a van but smaller than a bus.”

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [Facebook] [Google] [StumbleUpon]

Comments

26 Responses to “Dealer Finds Market for Used Rialta Motorhomes”

1. Gary Turner on October 25th, 2010 4:50 pm

Wanted Rialta for a Canadian who lives in West Vancouver….. please forward info to garyturner47@telus.net …can travel easily to Washington and Oregon . Looking for well priced and low mileage…Thanks

2. D Tinker on October 27th, 2010 12:06 pm

Looking for a used Rialta-1998-2004-within 300 miles if Buffalo,New York-e-mail-Dave at-dtinker1939@roadrunner.com.

3. Kerry Stark on November 23rd, 2010 12:42 pm

I owned a new 2000 Rialta. It was my first RV. One of the main reasons I got rid of it was because I could not get decent chassis service from a local VW dealer. Since they didn’t sell it, they obviously did not want to service it. I was asssured by my RV dealer that service would be no problem with all the VW dealers out there. Yea right!! And it wasnt just me, I recall other owners having the same service issues. I would suggest checking with your local VW dealer to make sure they will provide you with “service with a smile” before buying one.

4. Sharon Ulmet on December 21st, 2010 10:30 am

I am looking for a later model Rialta with less than 40K miles in the Missouri/Arkansas/Oklahoma/Tennessee/Texas areas.
    Thanks!

5. Carol Park on May 11th, 2013 2:54 pm

I have a 1999 22QD Rialta that I need to sell quite soon. It has only 54,000 miles. Is in very good condition. Fridge has been removed and replaced with cabinet door for storage. No AC in the back but does have two vents, one with a fan. Great unit but must sell. Will take under $20,000.

6. Julie Hill on June 22nd, 2015 3:37 pm

I am looking for a Used Rialta, I live near Denver in Colorado.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!