Where Have All the Certified RV Technicians Gone?

Print Print

August 7, 2009 by   44 Comments

Editor’s Note:  Jim Carr, training director for the Florida RV Trade Association, notes a decline in RV technician recertifications and shared his findings in a column written for the August issue of FRVTA News. Here are excerpts from that column.

frvta-logo-tech1My topic this month is Technician Recertification, an issue that is near and dear to my heart. I sit on the RVIA/RVDA Technician Certification Governing Board and one of the issues we’ve dealt with over the past years has been getting and keeping our technicians certified.

When the Florida Distance Learning Network and online training went to the national level in 2003, we increased the number of newly certified technicians by dramatic numbers. Now those numbers are coming up for recertification. The latest statistic I have seen, and that was in July, is there are 555 certifications up for renewal in 2009. As of July, only 121 have submitted the necessary renewal paperwork or only 22%. We cannot afford to lose almost 80% of our class of ’04 certified technicians. And 2010 promises to have an even larger number of technicians coming up for recertification.

Where are our technicians going? Why are they not renewing their certifications? Is it the economy? Is it they just are not seeing any value in being certified? These are tough questions with not very clear answers unfortunately.

Surveys have shown that our technician population is very mobile and our process of notification for renewal often times goes to five-year-old, outdated addresses, either employment addresses or personal addresses. Very little forwarding occurs. To that end, with the FRVTA Boards’ blessing, we are embarking on a directed mission to make sure our Florida technicians become recertified.

RVDA has provided me lists of all Florida certifications coming up for renewal in 2009 and 2010. This totals 130 technicians. They are listed by dealer where that information was provided or by individual address. I will make a concerted effort to meet with each dealer and technician listed to make sure they understand the recertification process and monitor that process to its positive conclusion.

Hindsight tells us that current economic conditions will change; there will be an upturn in our industry and hiring will commence. Where will we find our technicians? Will there be sufficient certified techs available? Or will we have to start back to where we were in 2000, scrambling to train and certify all our “green peas” while waiting for them to be productive. Can we afford that?

As I visit your dealerships in the coming months and through the next year and a half, I will bring my lists of technicians needing recertification. Hopefully, together we can get as many of these folks over that recertification hurdle as possible.

Please do not hesitate to call me (386-754-4285) if you have any questions. Thanks and I look forward to working with you on this very worthwhile project.

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [Facebook] [Google] [StumbleUpon]

Comments

44 Responses to “Where Have All the Certified RV Technicians Gone?”

1. Pat on August 7th, 2009 10:32 am

As a Master Certified Technician since 1995, coming up for my third renewal in 2010, I will not qualify for renewal since the RV manufacturer I had worked for since 2004 closed last year, I have been unemployed since. I have no records of training from my former employer, nor have I been continuously employed in the RV business “for the first time since 1980” all due to condition out of my control i.e. the national recession and the downturn in the RV Industry.

So even though I have been a Certified Tech since 1995, “I will no longer be one” after this coming year. Maybe the governing board should look at the fact that numerous technicians will not be able to meet the standards for renewal due to loss of employment? Otherwise I and probably many more will not even worry about renewal.

2. Jeff on August 7th, 2009 11:57 am

From my piont of veiw employers and manufactures have not been offering enough training for techs to recert. Also the cost for the techs is too high to certify.
    Most dealers don’t provide any incentive for the tech to incure these costs. As a Master Certified Tech I have had to locate qualifed training on my own and incure the cost of that traing.

3. Dennis on August 7th, 2009 4:53 pm

I have been certified since 1996, master since 2003. My last recert in 08 almost didn’t happen because the factory training is getting harder and harder to get. With all of the strain on the dealers and manufactures the “training” is almost nonexistent. When I started in this business in 86 there was alot of training, local one day events so all of the local techs could attend reguardless of who they worked for. The vendors would pay for this as they new it would cut down on the warranty cost, with a side benefit being satisfied customers. Now there are manufactures and vendors putting out new and different products, that we get to learn as we go at our customers and company’s expense. The shift over the last 10 years has been for the dollar, and not the support system of our industry. With out knowledgable techs and business’ to employ them, where will we be in the near future. Thechs are an asset, but only as good as the training they receive.
    I will get off my soap box now.

4. Craig Goldrich on August 7th, 2009 5:30 pm

Where are you guy’s????….Im a growing rv dealer in the Tulsa OK area and need 2 more tech’s to add to my team…great work enviorment….top pay for the right people…call 918-234-0000..fax resume to 918-437-2222
    thanks
    Craig S. Goldrich
    Owner
    Tulsa RV
    16615 E. Admiral Pl Ste B-6
    Tulsa OK 74116

5. Mr. Proto on August 8th, 2009 8:54 am

I am not a certified RV tech but I have been a certified automotive technician and automotive instructor for years, one of the problems I have seen over the years is the value for re-certifying. The automotive dealers and shops (all in Florida) cared mainley to have a certified tech on staff and the regular Jo would do most of the work, this way the dealer could adverstise ASE tech but pay the lower wage to the real working, this worked out well until a lot of fellows decided that if I am not going to get paid for the re-cert. why bother. Most tech’s I found want the security of job and maybe some more days off, this is a way for a dealer to give a pay raise without putting alot more money out. This also helps the tech. by not putting him or her in the next tax bracket. We all now it is about money, so we have to be creative on how we spend it and make it. A good working enviornment goes a long way to keeping employees and in turn that good working enviornment will have the employees be proud to wear the banner of a certified RV tech, As a Governing Board you will need to work on both the Dealers and the Techs. in order to solve your re-cert. problem. That my opinion.

6. Steve Savage on August 8th, 2009 10:38 am

For heaven sakes, could we all please get serious about certification. Having been Master certifiied since 1999 these are my thoughts.

At present:

1. There is virtually no training beyond the basics and the few manufacturer programs that are offered sporadically often spend as much time on PR as they do training. Generally they waste my time and/or money with only a few notable exceptions (Dometic’s for example is excellent. I wish it served as a model for what training should be.)

2. There is no industy support for certification and no career pathway for advancement. I see plenty of advertising for toilet chemicals, but darn little for certified techs.

3. Current training appears to be largely focused on distant learning programs via computer terminals. It’s cheap and easy. Is it comparable to hands-on training or is it just a way to boost the number of certified techs? Don’t we already have enough “techs” who can’t fix anything?

4. There is no industry involvement of technicians in the design of RVs. Gee, what a novel idea having the folks who have to fix them have some input into how they go together.

The answer to the question as to why techs are not recertifying is really very simple. People pursue tasks they perceive as having valve, be it money or prestige. No one needs to spend time polling technicians to see why they are not recertifying. In one sentence, tell me why certification has tangible value for most technicians. I’m betting you can’t do it!

Steve Savage
    RVDA/RVIA Master Certified RV Technician
    Mobility RV Service
    Bristol, TN.

7. Bob Cox on December 24th, 2009 11:13 am

Certification and Master Certification is very important at our dealership. All of our RV techs are Master Certified except for one who is Certified and working on his Master. If anyone out there is certified and looking for employment in the north east, please contact me. bcox@stoltzfus-rec.com Stoltzfus RV and Marine, PA

8. Richard W, Houghton on December 25th, 2009 5:40 pm

Let’s get REAL’ I, Commend the dealers that answered this with offer’s of
    JOB’S …

The training must be tied into the Manufacturing of the “PRODUCT ” No matter
    what it is…

There should be a DIRECT Tie- in to allow the skilled Training at the Plant’s
    where these product’s are built.. So we have skilled tech’s, at all dealers.

Until this is tied into the RV Industry , We will fail to be able to safely repair the
    the Product’s for the buying Public…

BOTTOM LINE WILL CONTINUE TO SUFFER.

Signed: Richard W. Houghton
    Dickyamazaki@aol.com

9. Ray Brown on January 12th, 2010 11:00 pm

I’ve been working on RV ‘s for 25 years. Manufacture’s seminars and training is what is needed to keep techs up to date on technological advancements and product updates.

RVDA and RVIA certifications are worthless paper . I’ve seen way to many “RV techs” , and I use that term loosely here, that have graduated from RV training schools that could not do the job in the real world. some of the training that they receive, isn’t practical “real world” knowledge.

A certified RV tech or Master tech in this area isn’t going to net you any more of a pay grade so why waste my time with it? My 25 years of real world , on the job training has gained me the top paying spot in this area and I can’t see a piece of paper making any difference.

[quote]Don’t we already have enough “techs” who can’t fix anything?[/quote]

yes, too many, but that is only because dealerships want to hire unskilled labor to fill positions for less out of pocket money, thinking they are getting a job done for less. It’s the ol’ “warm body” mentality. why hire experience when you can get three kids to train for the same money?

10. A Service Manager on January 28th, 2010 8:43 am

Ray is aboslutely right. I don’t know how many times I have had the RV “tech” school grads apply for a job when advertised want in at 20-25.00 per hour just because the are tech school trained and RVDA/RVIA certified with zero experience. “REAL” technicians are hard to come by. In this industry certification doesn’t mean much since there is no real training that is required to pass the test. If you’re book smart , read and study the guides out there then you can pass. Even the online/satellite training is a joke. This industry is all about hands on experience. When was the last time you saw a fresh out of school Master Certified tech that knew squat about multi-plex.

The Industry…vendors and manufacturers need to step up and provide quality hands on training for the products they provide. I’m not talking about 1 day, product knowledge and sales training. I’m talking about, if this breaks, this is how you fix it. And they need to pay for it.

They need to pay for it because they reap the benefits. We’ll get the guys there. You “the manufacturer” pay for the training. We the dealer benefit also, but we shouldn’t be paying for training on a product we buy, sell and fix for you.

To the techs: Folks, you are also responsible to study and keep up with changes in the industry. I have a saying: I didn’t buy your tools, I didn’t choose your profession, and I didn’t fill out your application. You chose this industry. A good service manager will keep you trained, but you have to excel at what you do. Most experienced techs I hire want all the money in the world, but once they get that money they expect raises without upping their performace. they figure since they are Master Certified they are not replaceable.

The reason dealerships hire unskilled techs is the theory of grow your own tech since there aren’t that many experience techs out there. And there aren’t many experienced techs out there and they want top dollar for their skills. Top dollar is fine, if you are a top producer. But if your experienced and will only take 25-30.00per hour. In this economy, expect to be replaced or be passed over for hire. I can keep 1 real good shop foreman, 2-3 certified, experienced techs, and then hire 6-7 unskilled individuals to be trained and mentored by those guys. Sure it’ll take 2-3 years of time under their belt to get decent. But when all is said and done I’ll have less invested over time and still get the job done.

11. Greg Helms on January 29th, 2010 2:51 pm

I was a master certifed tech until last year. Just did not have enough training for auto recert and now being another unemployed tech I can not afford to recertify myself.

I have taught the classes in the past when you had to be able to diagnose a problem. That does not seem to be a requirment for certification today. Just a bunch a facts to memorize.

I always taught my techs to be able to “diagnose” a problem with any RV. Training ism not always available or affordable. There is so much info on the web that it is easy to keep your techs updated yourself.

The personal approach with hands on with a manual (they need to learn to understand a manual) makes for better techs. I have found that they really do like to learn.

I also agree that most dealerships want a certified tech and hire “warm bodies”.
    This has been true for many years. A truely good RV tech can get a job in many other industries, and in this climate that is probably where they are going.

I have over 30 years in the RV “repair” business and am now looking elswhere.

12. VICTOR LOPEZ on January 29th, 2010 3:28 pm

I AGREE WITH EVERYBODY ELSE MY RE-CERTIFICATION IS COMING UP IN 2011 AND AM NOT SURE IF I WILL QUALIFY FOR IT. MY EMPLOYER DOESNT WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY FOR MORE TRAINING AND IM NOT GOING TO DO IT. TRAVEL EXPENSE FOOD HOTEL IT GETS EXPENSIVE. USUALLY IF I DONT KNOW A SOLUTION I CALL TECH LINE OR CALL OTHER TECHS AND FIGURE IT OUT EVEN THOUGH IT TAKES LONGER NEXT TIME I HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT ILL KNOW. BUT LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE I WISH SOMEBODY WOULD STEP UP AND PROVIDE GOOD TRAINING.

13. Another Service Manager on January 30th, 2010 2:54 pm

I agree, give me common knowledge and attitude and we will provide training, mentoring, and pay for Master Certification for the right people. When dealing with customers and lawyers, the words “Master Certified” go a long way. I am Master Certified but will probably not re-certify in 2012 due to the lack of training available.

14. LP on February 3rd, 2010 2:22 pm

Any service techs / manager want to work on Vancouver Island?
    send resume to: busoffice@bigboystoys.ca
    LP

15. Greg on February 4th, 2010 4:57 am

Just another thought. As I am looking at job applications from around the country I see many that want RVIA certification or 1 – 2 years experience. What does that tell you about the level of competence that the dealer has in RVIA certifeid techs.

Please tell me again why I should get re certified. After 30 years I don’t think so…

16. Steve Roddy on February 15th, 2010 4:41 pm

I am involved with certification training and have been involved in the interviewing and hiring of technicians. Certification alone does not insure of getting a good technician. As others said many people can study and learn to pass the test. However since the certification test and the associated training is based on principal and theory a technician that has passed with a master certification score and has the experience to be a master certified technician will be a better hire. This person also has demonstrated the pride and given his time for the extra effort to become certified. I agree it will not always make you a better technician but it will always make you a more respected technician. You better ask customers how they feel!

17. Steve Roddy on February 15th, 2010 4:44 pm

Plenty of training available on line. Poor excuse for training being unavailable. Some technicians can not learn unless it is hands-on however. Are these the technicians you want in your shop?

18. Another Service Manager on February 17th, 2010 12:41 pm

Where is the on line training?

19. Matt Windmill on February 22nd, 2010 2:27 am

I am Red Seal Certified and a RVIA certified tech. I was considering writing for my Masters but have decided to put it off until the RVIA/RVDA overhauls the program. Why would I attain another level if it has no added value or worth to the customer, my employer and more importantly to me and my family. I will do my best to colaborate and learn from more senior techs and do what I can online.

20. Matt Windmill on February 22nd, 2010 2:34 am

Travelhome in Langley is looking for Technicians. Pay and benefits are above average and the team is made up of people who are hard working and innovative. Email resumes to: service@travelhome.com Ref. Matt

21. Service Provider on March 25th, 2010 2:58 pm

Real mechanics have found that most certifications are just a piece of scrap paper.
    Anybody with top skills such as diagnosis and repair proficiency is becoming self-employed. The name “mechanic” has much higher esteem than technician. Why be employed for low wages when a good mechanic can simply “fire” the boss and parts department and charge the customer less, and pay oneself more. Since being self-employed I get treated great, get respect from my boss (myself), obtain parts and equipment with no hassle and my production profit does not get eaten up by non productive people that my old boss needs on the payroll. I don’t need to bother myself with slogans like “we pay top dollar”, “We offer competitive wages”. Those slogans are for big shop owners and managers that can’t change a headlight but think they know how to make a profit. The current climate is perfect. The agile and strong will survive.

22. Dave (florida) on May 5th, 2010 9:00 pm

Yea guys I hear you. As a re-certified master automotive tech I see it in my industry too. Its really sad. I think its just a fact of most places just trying to just stay a flote. They will do it at all costs, including hiring unskilled labor due to cost. I believe the economy WILL get better, and I feel that the certification will be worth something more than the paper it was written on. After the businesses get through this (the ones that are left), they will pick the pieces, and realize that you get what you pay for. But for now, I dont think too many of them care……..God bless.

23. Warren Cooke on May 18th, 2010 5:24 pm

I’ve read the responses regarding RV certification with interest. I was in the welding industry for 44 1/2 years from machine scheduler on the plant floor to
    Nat’l Sales Mgr. for one of the top 4 Equipment Mfgs.[involved with RV's for 35] We had a full training program for both weldors as well as welding engineers. The dealers paid for the trip to the plant and lodging, we handled all other costs including meals, and lots of hands on with both esablished products as well as the latest technology. Every class got new cutting/welding torches and regulators, [or other products] and hands on instruction for tearing them down to parts piles, and then building the product back to useable service.

The RV industry is known for quality parts suppliers, but also for here today, gone…… you know the story. Nothing beats a factory visit and training, with the added benefit of establishing good contacts, which goes both ways.
    The RV industry needs to get more involved where the ” rubber meets the road”.
    That’s not a trite statement, it’s a fact……….and allows a more secure future for both the industry and it’s techs.

24. Dave on June 24th, 2010 4:34 pm

I worked as an Appliance repair tech for 10 yrs, then spent many yrs in Sales/Promotions world on commission , a bit of an entrepreneur. part of that being a pitchman on the county fair circuit. I got a lot of common sense and have always enjoyed working with my hands, and believe in doing a job right for people. Im now 52 and was recently exposed to this trade from online research. this appears to be a goldmine of an area for a 20 yr old and I agree with you guys that the manufactures should provide hands on training onsite at the dealers and seminars. looking at myself, Im getting an itch to get trained at that Florida school RVSA and start a Co. but let me ask your opinions from you master techs out there. 1- I have a Internet background and my focus is to learn to develop business, and build relationships HMMM im a wear all hats kind of guy but I am 52 young haha!! I think I would;d be best suited to help qualified RV techs get contracted 1099 jobs through me by contacting RV owners and or Dealers, that way the dealer does not employ you. I live in Maine but would try to focus on assigmments in the country for you!! Im brainstorming as i right and full of ideas.I just dont know if it would be valuable for me to focus on RV training at my age, you guys know this field. how about some feedback to this green pea at least in this RV dept area…. If you are seeking to get a fire started contact me, like i said this trade looks wide open. I also lived in Colorado for 22 yrs. I supported myself door to door in the sports print industry for 8 + yrs and did well. Im looking for a new business idea? basically. the statistics and outlook looks good guys if you have the chops and desire to work. there is a young guy in my area who poped 80k this year in the rental RV business but wont give me the time of day and say hello. Ilife goes on!! appreciate your feedback, good luck to all of you.

Thanks,
    Dave

25. Dave on June 24th, 2010 4:42 pm

Dave again , got a great lead on roof repair for RVs that could ba a home run for RV shows like I said you got an Idea pass it on as i will to you as well. Im on the hunt foe a partnered opportunity that only interests me and fits my personality for our mutual benefits and helps the usa economy too.

later,
    Dave
    Maine, USA

26. Bill Robey on July 25th, 2010 1:10 pm

In Northwest Florida, where I live, there are still a good number of Certified/Master Certified guys employed. Even with the closing of two large dealerships most of the guys found work in new dealerships or serivce centers.

As the owner of a growing RV Service Center I have been looking for several Certified RV Technicians to add to my shop and on the road service departments. As a Master Certified Technician I understand that the paper is only as good as the guy behind it. If someone has once been certified, they haven’t lost that knowledge just because they were unable to renew due to employment problems. The main reason I am asking for someone with experience is because I don’t have time to train my new guys at this time. I need people who know their stuff and can hit the ground running.

We are a small company with 2 Certified Technicans, 1 Master Certified, 1 in training and a shop helper. Our business is growing recently because we have moved from a small one bay shop at my residence to the large former car dealership (thanks to the recent economy) which allows us to work on as many as 12 at a time. We are swamped with work and would love to hire more technicians who are ready to work. Unfortunatly, we are growing faster than the supply of qualified technicians.

I want to extend my inventation to anyone who is interested in relocating to Northwest Florida and who holds a valid certification or who has previously held a certification but now works in other fields due to the economic issues. If you would seriously like to discuss employment with our company, please call my cell phone at (850) 293-6255. Please leave a message on weekends and evenings.

Bill

27. Scott on September 3rd, 2010 10:45 pm

HAY I NEED A CERTIFIED TECH. OR NOT, JUST THE EXPERIENCE. I AM LOCATED IN SOUTHERN UTAH 1 HOUR DRIVE TO LAS VEGAS NEVADA. I WILL PAY TOP DOLLAR FOR 1 RV TECHNICIAN. PLEASE CALL ME 435-229-1673 OR OFFICE 435-635-5036 OR FILL OUT AN EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION ONLINE. I NEED HELP NOW. GREAT PAY, GREAT WORK ENVIRONMENT. #1 PLACE TO LIVE IN THE COUNTRY ACCORDING TO CNN IN 2006′ CHECK US OUT.

28. Regina @ Oklahoma City on September 20th, 2010 1:39 am

We are all in the same BOAT. Experienced technicians are fewer and fewer. I have three Master Certified techs that will have to recertify by 2011. They have been Certifed for many years and master Certifed for 10 years, so most of the online training is so basic, it is redundant….THAT’S WHY NO ONE WANTS TO RECERTIFY. But, I pay and incentive raise for Certification and more for Master Certification, so that they do.
    ALSO——my Shop Foreman of 41 years just retired last month. So I have an opportunity for an experienced tech with leadership ability.
    McClains is a very established and stable 50 year company with one of the BEST benefit packages in the industry. Check out all of stores online at mcclainsrv.com
    and contact me at 405-789-4773 Ask for Regina if you are interested in the LAST career move you will have to make.
    McClains RV Oklahoma City

29. Shannon Parks on September 21st, 2010 4:20 pm

Our Fort Lauderdale location is hiring! Call (954)792-0057

30. irwin jamili on September 28th, 2010 12:49 am

master certified since 1998. experience, knowledge and ability
    to back it up. seeking employment with a busy @ organized rv shop.
    call me @ 702 277 3314

31. barry on October 1st, 2010 8:27 pm

I am a very well experienced tech with 20 years under my belt.
    I started of as an electronics technician and after many years I went to work with an rv builder. I changed a good many things in these units because they were not tech friendly. I then started repairing units after 2 years of building and here in Ontario all you need is to have an RV1 propane licience or a RV2 cert and work under a RV1. This has to be recertified every 2 years and I have worked with a great deal of so called technician with many years of training that don’t know their the difference between their hole and one in the ground. To bad thatin another 10 to 15 years there will not be a tech who knows how to use their brain and figure out things with out have to run to a book and making the cost of things go through the roof because of a simple problem no one could figure out. I worked on one unit in which a GFCI had tripped, the tech given the job had spent 2 hours trying to figure it out it took me 5 mins. So for all you who have a RV good luck getting service in a few years

32. Candace on October 14th, 2010 6:16 pm

We would love to see a couple RV Tech Entrepeneurs come to Benson, AZ and take over a RV parts store so that we have a GOOD RV Repair shop in the area.

Tucson dealers are 90 miles away, but Benson, Bisbee, Tombstone, Douglas, Wilcox, Safford are all FULL of RVers – many snowbirds – who NEED a good RV shop … AND have the $$$ to pay for quality repairs.

We have 1 RV shop in Sierra Vista – and he stays busy – plus 1 mobile RV Tech – would could both use some competition.

Call us if you want any more information on the RV Shop for sale in Benson, AZ.
    520-220-0340

33. Roger Ford on October 21st, 2010 12:20 pm

Please help me understand why the RV industry is giving away hundreds of millions of dollars.

Most people learning the unique service of reconditioning RV refrigerators are not in the RV industry and most of them are coming from the HVAC and appliance repair industry.

RV refrigerator reconditioning is a unique service that draws the customers in. From there technicians expand their services to include AC recharging and all other RV appliance repair, plus electrical, plumbing and more. HVAC was my background before I switched to the RV industry, which by the way was one of the best moves I ever made and that’s what I tell all of them.

Now HVAC trade schools are taking notice and are buying our refrigerator service manuals to introduce ammonia refrigeration repair to their students. Soon there will be a small, low overhead, RV Appliance repair shop in almost every city in the USA. They will be hard to compete against. Look, I make my money either way, but I’m a 26 year RV Industry veteran. I would rather see RV owners spend their money with others in the RV industry. The past few years have been a sad time financially for the RV industry but if they keep letting people from other industries take their business, its going to get a lot worse. Good luck.

Roger D. Ford
    Ford RV Refrigeration Training Center
    Benton, KY 42025
    270-354-9239

34. Kenneth Day on October 25th, 2010 7:52 pm

I am in need of a RV tech in a growing RV business in Southeast KY. If interested call 606-877-1530 or 606-521-9078 or you may email me at sday29@msn.com.
    $30.00 an hour no problem, but don’t pee down my back and tell me its a raining..

35. Kerri Vincent on November 22nd, 2010 4:33 pm

Hey RV Service Techs,

I work for a company who has locations all over the US who are continually looking for certified RV Techs, even 1-2 years of experience would be great. Email me your resume and which location you are looking to work and I will see what we have in your area.

Thanks!!

Kerri Vincent

36. Chuck Williams on February 8th, 2011 8:07 am

I have been in the RV industry for 30 years, and I am looking for techs in SW Florida, but not just any Tech

I have read the post re certified techs, certification mean nothing to me after working with many over the years I can tell you first hand they have no clue, how to fix RV’s the only tech I would ever employ is someone with many years under his belt, you have to know the history of products, and all the secrets and tricks as to why a system is not working, or you will have a lot of unhappy customers it is never cut and dry with fixing RV’s
    My team was ranked 98.7% collectable efficiency, and we were out of season and in a down market, this can be confirmed by the Spader 20 Group and 19 other dealers wanting to know what I am doing to make this happen, Leadership was one of my fist steps the rest that will follow was policy, process and procedure, I have worked with Camping World also and see they have a great system but no procedure to get it down, the excuse is (were working through it! is all that is heard.. again No Leadership, the second is the service writers, if this person does not know as much as the tech, then what ever the tech tell the writer is what the writer tells the customer… you can see how RV dealers get a bad name.. don’t even get me started on the parts department- and is it possible for every delivery to out perfectly every time that answer would be YES!

Certification does not teach you that, and why arent writers and parts personal going through training? Certification is just the basics, the same goes for Real-Estate, everything you learn in your class will never be used in the field, it is just a reference.

One post I read said the service tech had many years of training but has no proof of certification, (your hired) ! that man could work in many areas from service to writer to parts and be great! Why because he has years of…………. References The fabric of life in the RV industry..

I have a 22 question test I created and I will know in the first 5 minutes if this person, is a quality tech or not I will know if he is capable of collectable efficiency, or is he just an hourly guy, I can Guarantee you the certificated tech will fail the test, and may get 3 or 4 answer right (Why because he does not have the experience years teach you.

I plan to put my system out there for all dealers, with Guaranteed results-

Chuck Williams
    RVTECH.COM

37. Scott Laing on February 9th, 2011 6:25 pm

La Mesa RV is always looking for top notch RV Technicians.

We live by our FAMILY core values of Fun, Attitude, Make their day, Integrity, Listen and qualitY, and we pride ourselves on having happy employees. We offer excellent pay and benefits. Selling motorhomes is selling a piece of the American dream. You’re selling Family, Fun and Memories. Working for La Mesa RV is a challenging yet rewarding career.

La Mesa RV has been an RV industry leader for over 35 years with locations in:

- California (San Diego, Davis and Dublin)
    - Arizona (Mesa, Tucson, Yuma and Quartzsite)
    - Florida (Sanford, near Orlando)

Contact us at:

resumes@lamesarv.com

38. Don Homola on March 27th, 2011 8:50 pm

I’m a retired electrical engineer and am finally able to pursue an RV lifestyle…but, I’m unable to find a list of certified RV techs to represent my interests when it comes to used RV’s in distant states. Is there an interest in joining a network of techs who would provide such a service? I’m thinking of maybe a two-tiered organization: those who are certified and would pay a fee for nationwide listing (Limits in area would be based on your choice/availability/certification) and those who may pay a bit more to fund their recertification). This is a rough idea but would fill a need and keep good techs employed. This is just a concept, but I would like to know if there is any interest. Thank you

39. Richard Davis on April 5th, 2011 2:26 pm

We have plenty of certified Techs here..http://www.charlottervcenter.com/index.html

40. Steve Savage on May 27th, 2011 1:52 pm

Reviewing the preceeding comments provides an interesting overview of the state of technician training. It seems experience in more hightly valued than education, as though it is assumed it is an “either -or” decision tree.

In fact, good training does have value, although it is presently almost unobtainable. On the other hand, experience has merit only when a task is correctly done. Otherwise it serves no purpost other than to offer opportunity to repeat the same mistakes.

The answer? There is none. At present certification is little more than a marketing tool. Could it be more? Probably, but marketing is what drives the industry.

My two cents worth,

Steve

41. Tony Gize on May 28th, 2011 8:01 pm

I have been in the industry since 2001 and have been certified as a journeyman technician since 2004. I am in Canada and the biggest problem we have is the lack of training once you get certified. The dealers, coach manufacturers and appliance manufacturers have put no money in training other than Dometic. Dometic offers a refresher course every 2 years and it is a one day affair. The other issue is the lack of pay. We are plumbers, electricians, carpenters, mechanics, etc… and don’t even getb paid 1/3 of the door rate as most trades do, so many techs are leaving and going into a new career. As I see it , the RV trade in canada is well behind the US rv techs in knowledge.

42. Guy Hamilton on August 1st, 2011 8:06 pm

Got certified at RVSA in 2009 with Matt. He really knows his stuff.
    Great course with hands on really worth it.

Have about 8 months experience looking for more.
    Spent 20+ years on big container ships and tankers as the electronics tech – Radio Officer. Worked in the engineroom assiting the engineers too.
    Strong electrical and mechanical experience, that ‘s why I thought the rv tech biz suited me well.

Currently in Phoenix where it’s DEAD. Too many unemployed techs and way too hot for me.

Moving out of here at the latest NOV 2011 headed either to Florida or Vancouver BC. Am a Canadian and US citizen so can work either place.

Have my own electrical and mech tools including gas sniffer, manometer etc.

NOT looking for full year round work, just 6 months+ seasonally.

Thanks
    Guy Hamilton
    480-560-7294
    Canamsailorguy@yahoo.com

43. roland on July 3rd, 2012 11:03 pm

I want to become a master certified tech, im a veteran, my rvda rvia technition certification is expired, my rvda rvia service advisor certification is getting real close to expiring, i work at rv dealership and i operate my own rv mobile repair service. i hope someone with answers will email me soon. i dont have alot of money to recertify but i sure am interested in doing so, (Master) thanks

44. Randy Bocchi on March 6th, 2014 7:39 pm

I’m looking for RV technition have one and need more, good pay and all you the work you want contact me by email. Work is available in Klamath Falls or.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!