Tin Can Tourists Look to June Route 6 Tour
The Tin Can Tour will “Do 6” this June as the caravan of classic trailers travels across at least half of U.S. Route 6 in Pennsylvania with stops in several communities and campgrounds along the way, the PA Route 6 Heritage Corp. and Tourist Association has announced.
The tour is in conjunction with the centennial celebration of the RV industry, going on this year and climaxed that week with a celebration in Elkhart, Ind., on June 7.
From June 4 to June 14, a caravan of approximately 30 classic vehicles and camping trailers will visit communities and historic sites across the western half of the historic and scenic highway. The caravan plans to stop for two days in a town or at a campground and hold an “open house” for residents and visitors to see these antique and mostly restored cars, trucks and campers. They hope to create a fun and festive time for the towns. Following are highlights of the planned tour, according to a news release:
- On Friday, June 4, traveling east on Route 6 from the Ohio line, the caravan will arrive at the Brookdale Family Campground in Meadville, near mile marker 24. An Open House will be held on Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m.
- On Sunday, June 6, the caravan will travel to the town of Port Allegany in McKean County, between mile marker 159 and 160, for a community event including a “Walk Around” viewing of the vintage trailers and motorcoaches, participation in a car show and a meal.
- An Open House on Monday, June 7, will take place at the nearby Allegheny River Campground, Roulette, near mile marker 170 from 3 to 7 p.m.
- On Tuesday, June 8, the caravan will travel to Galeton, near mile marker 198, where they will set up in the John J. Collins Memorial Park, right on the lake. An Open House will be held on Wednesday, June 9 from 1 to 4 p.m.
- On Thursday, June 10, the caravan moves in Mansfield, near mile marker 234 and will set up in Town Park. An Open House will be held on Friday, June 11 from 1 to 4 p.m.
- On Saturday, June 12, the caravan turns around and heads back west to Conneaut Lake Park and ends its stay in Pennsylvania.
The Tin Can Tourists is an all make and model vintage trailer and motorcoach club. Its goal is to promote and preserve vintage trailers and motor coaches through Gatherings and information exchange. For more information, contact the PA Route 6 Heritage Corp. at (814) 435-7706.