RVIA: May Wholesale Shipments Grew 83.5%
Total wholesale shipments to retailers in May were reported at 24,400 units, up 83.5% over May 2009, the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) reported today.
Overall, towable RVs continue to provide the greatest volume increase, while motorhome totals reflect the greatest percentage gains. On a seasonally adjusted basis, this month’s total shipments presented an annual rate of more than 262,500 units, an increase of 6% over last month.
Towable RV shipments totaled 21,700, while motorized shipments totaled 2,700.
By category, shipments were as follows:
- Travel Trailers, 14,400, up 82.3%.
- Fifth-wheels, 5,500, up 103.7%
- Folding camping trailers, 1,600, up 23.1%.
- Truck campers, 200, no change.
- Class A motorhomes, 1,100, up 175%.
- Class B motorhomes, 100, no change.
- Class C motorhomes, 1,500, up 114.3%.
Year-to-date, total RV shipments have now reached 108,900 units through May this year, up 91.1% compared to this same period last year. All vehicle types have enjoyed growth in shipments this year with Class A motorhomes continuing to experience the greatest percentage increase, while conventional travel trailers have experienced the greatest unit increase.
The complete report follows below: