In advance of the 2010 Caravan Salon Dusseldorf, the world’s largest display of RVs, 22 products have been chosen by a jury to receive “caravaning design awards.”
The show will be held Aug. 28-Sept 5. at the fairgounds in Dusseldorf, Germany.
A total of 47 Caravan Salon exhibitors submitted 90 products for the competition, according to a news release. A total of 22 products were chosen by a jury of five internationally renowned experts: four products received the “caravaning design award, best practice,” 17 products received the “caravaning design award” and one product was given an “honorable mention.”
In addition, the winner of the “caravaning design award best interior design” was chosen.
The spectrum of the winning products is broad and reflects the entire potential of the industry. The four “caravaning design award best practice” awards went to:
- The SpaceCamper Light caravan.
- The Opera tent caravan.
- The Honda EU 30i generator.
- The FROLI folding mobile bicycle stand.
The SpaceCamper Light also received the special award “caravaning design award best interior design.”
The news release went into detail about what the judges had to say about design. Excerpts follow.
The jury’s selection proves that excellent design is not a question of price. Low-cost products can also impress with clever detail solutions, high-quality materials and attention to detail.
“We look for quality down to the last detail. It is always a joy to find good quality, craftsmanship and functional aspects in a product that are well thought-out and intelligently implemented,” stated Kristiina Lassus, managing director of the Christiina Lassus Studio and one of the jurors. The limited space and the mobility of the object at hand present the designers with unique challenges, she said. Therefore intelligent, multi-functional solutions that make the most of the available space are especially important. Excellent design does not apply strictly to outer appearances – and can be extremely simple.
“The best design is always the one which most people would not consider design. The unique quality of a design is always the most obvious where design itself does not obtrude, but where it is apparent that a problem has been solved intelligently, creating something new in the process,” explained Peter Zec, initiator of the Red Dot Design award.
The jurors agree that design plays a much more important role in the RV/mobile home industry than it did 10 years ago.
“The topic of design has reached the industry – there is a noticeable trend toward better design,” said Zec.
Juror Adi Zimmer also noticed that the submitted products were on a somewhat higher level this year. Apparently the caravaning design award has played a crucial role. According to Juror Ingo Wagner, “The caravaning design award is important for the industry because it recognizes products and companies that deliver innovations. These innovations are pursued and contribute to the increase in attractiveness of the products – not only visual, but also conceptual attractiveness. It is important in the industry to have won a caravaning design award.”
According to design experts, there still remains a good deal of unrealized potential when it comes to design in the RV/mobile home industry. Engaging renowned designers who have never worked in this field yet but are experienced in interior design could lead to completely new approaches and fresh ideas.
The award ceremony will take place during the official opening of the show on Aug. 28. All winning products will be on display online at http://www.caravaning-award.com starting that day.
All winners at-a-glance:
Caravaning design award “best practice” and “caravaning design award best interior design:”
- SpaceCamper Light Caravan, RW – Fahrzeugbau GmbH SpaceCamper, Darmstadt, Germany.
Caravaning design award, best practice:
- Foldable Mobile Bicycle Stand, FROLI Kunststoffwerk GmbH & Co. KG, Schloss Holte-Stukenbrock, Germany.
- Honda EU 30i Generator, Honda Deutschland GmbH, Offenbach/Main, Germany.
- Opera Tent Caravan, YSIN b.v., Geldrop, Netherlands.
Caravaning design award, innovations for new mobility:
- Tuareg Outdoor Trailer, Aart Kok Adventure BV, Heemstede, Netherlands.
- Mammut Caravan Moving System, Alois Kober GmbH, Kötz, Germany.
- IUoU Charge Booster Mobile Technology, LB-45, Büttner-Elektronik GmbH, Neuenkirchen, Germany.
- Satellite Receiver Systerm Mobile Technology iQ2, Büttner-Elektronik GmbH, Neuenkirchen, Germany.
- Nugget Edition 25 Caravan, CVC-Camping Van Conversion GmbH, Rheda-Wiedenbrück, Germany.
- Sleepaway – Your Personal Travel Pillow, Fabotex S.r.l., Monselice (PD), Italy.
- Mobile WC Berger Deluxe, Fritz Berger GmbH, Neumarkt, Germany.
- ViscoMobil Mattress and ViscoMobil Mattress Topper, FROLI Kunststoffwerk GmbH & Co. KG, Schloss Holte-Stukenbrock, Germany.
- Holtkamper Kyte Tent Camper, Holtkamper Faltcaravans GmbH, Haren/Ems, Germany.
- HRZ Aqualizer Mini Wastewater Treatment Plant, HRZ Reisemobile GmbH, Öhringen, Germany.
- KETTERER CONTINENTAL Luxury Caravan, KETTERER SPEZIALFAHRZEUGE AG, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Long Aluminium Threaded Tent Peg, Peggy Peg Innovative Systems Ltd., Neudrossenfeld, Germany.
- CASCADA Single-Handed Faucet, Reich GmbH, Eschenburg-Wissenbach, Germany.
- TLC Towbar Load Control Noseweight Gauge, Reich GmbH, Eschenburg-Wissenbach, Germany.
- Thetford Cassette Toilet, Thetford BV, Etten-Leur, Netherlands.
- Twincam 230 Reversing Camera, Vantecc GmbH, Gärtringen, Germany.
- DOME Awning, Westfield Outdoors GmbH, Wittlich, Germany.
Caravaning design award, honorable mention:
Brillant Caravan, Fendt-Caravan GmbH, Mertingen, Germany.
For further information on visiting or exhibiting at CARAVAN SALON 2010, contact Messe Düsseldorf North America, 150 N. Michigan Ave, Suite 2920, Chicago, IL 60601. Telephone: (312) 781-5180; Fax: (312) 781-5188; E-mail: email@example.com; Visit the website http://www.mdna.com; Subscribe to our blog at http://blog.mdna.com; Follow us on twitter at http://twitter.com/mdnachicago