Retail sales of towable RVs were up ever so slightly in June over June 2009, Statistical Surveys Inc. (SSI) reported today.
June sales were up a scant 0.9%, on the sale of just over 19,000 units, the Grand Rapids, Mich.-based firm reported.
For the first half of 2010, towable sales were up 3.9% over 2009.
In June, by segment, compared to June 2009,
- Trailer sales were up 4.8%.
- Fifth-wheel sales were up 3.4%.
- Folding camping trailer sales were off 20.8%.
- Recreational park trailers were down 38.5%.
Thor Industries Inc. was the leader in all RV sales with a 30.8% market share, followed by Forest River Inc. at 21.4%. Jayco Inc. was third with an 11.9% share.
By segment, Thor led in travel trailers with a 31.1% share, in fifth-wheels with a 40.8% share and in recreational park trailers with a 29.7% share.
Forest River was No. 2 in travel trailers and fifth-wheels and No. 1 in folding camping trailers.
For year-to-date by segment compared to last year:
- Travel trailer sales are up 8.1%.
- Fifth-wheel sales are up 2.2%.
- Folding camping trailer sales are down 17.7%.
- Recreational park trailer sales are off 14.6%.
To subscribe to this or other SSI reports, contact Scott Stropkai, national RV sales manager, at (616) 281-9898 ext. 128, or (61) 446-8179 (cell).