RVIA: August Wholesale Shipments Rise 20.8%
RV wholesale shipments to retailers totaled 21,500 units in August, an increase of 8.6% over last month and 20.8% greater than August one year ago, the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) has reported.
Although this was a small gain in monthly shipments this August, it was the 13th consecutive monthly increase in RV shipments dating back to July 2009. On a seasonally adjusted annual rate basis, shipments in August this year represented a total of 250,000 units.
Year-to-date, RV shipments have now reached 177,300 units, more than 70% ahead of this same month last year. While all RV product categories have benefited from the growth in 2010, towable RVs continue to gain more units while motorhome totals have increased by the greatest percentage gain.
Towable shipments totaled 19,200 units, up 15% from August 2009, while motorized shipments totaled 2,300 units, up 109.1%.
By segment, the shipments for August, followed by their comparison to August 2009 were:
- Travel trailers, 13,100, up 18%.
- Fifth-wheels, 5,100, an increase of 21.4%.
- Folding camping trailers, 700, down 41.7%.
- Truck campers, 300, up 50%.
- Class A motorhomes, 1,300, up 160%.
- Class B motorhomes, 100, flat.
- Class C motorhomes, 900, up 80%.
Year-to-date by segment:
- Travel trailers, 101,200, up 68.3%.
- Fifth-wheels, 39,200, an increase up 76.6%.
- Folding camping trailers, 11,200, up 21.7%.
- Truck campers, 2,000, an increase of 53.8%.
- Class A motorhomes, 8,800, up 183.9%.
- Class B motorhomes, 1,100, an increase of 83.3%.
- Class C motorhomes, 7,800, up 105.3%.
See the chart below.