RVIA: September Wholesale Shipments Off 4%
Wholesale shipments to retailers of all RVs were reported at 16,700 units in the September monthly survey of manufacturers, 4% less than this same month last year, the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) has reported.
This was the first month in over a year that was less than the same month a year earlier and marked only the third time this year that monthly shipment totals were under 20,000 units.
September shipments of all towable RV were off 8.7% from one year ago, while motorhome shipments continued to grow, rising 53.8% above totals for this month last year.
Year-to-date, 194,000 units have been shipped to retailers, an improvement of 59.4% compared to this same period last year. Towables have produced the greatest unit gains this year (54.9%), while motorhomes have risen by a larger percentage (114.1%).
September shipments by product segment and comparison to September 2009 were as follows:
- Travel trailers,9,500, down 15.9%.
- Fifth-wheels, 4,300, up 16.2%.
- Folding camping trailers, 700, down 22.2%.
- Truck campers, 200, flat.
- Class A motorhomes, 1,200, up 100%.
- Class B motorhomes, 100, down 50%.
- Class C motorhomes, 700, up 40%.
Meanwhile, year-to-date shipments by product segment were as follows:
- Travel trailers, 116,700, up 55.6%.
- Fifth-wheels, 43,500, up 68%.
- Folding camping trailers, 11,900, up 17.8%.
- Truck campers, 2,200, up 46.7%.
- Class A motorhomes, 10,000, up 170.3%.
- Class M motorhomes, 1,200, flat.
- Class C motorhomes, 8,500, up 97.7%.
For a complete look at the data see the chart below.