Coleman Popup Builder FTCA Inc. Closes

Print Print

January 20, 2011 by   7 Comments

How To Get Ex Boyfriend Back ” alt=”The Destiny, FTCA Inc.’s entry-level folding camping trailer.” width=”300″ height=”174″ />

The Destiny, FTCA Inc.'s entry-level folding camping trailer.

Word spread throughout the industry today (Jan. 20) that the manufacturer of the legendary  Coleman folding camping trailer — FTCA Inc. — has shut down its plant in Somerset, Pa.

And while company spokesmen were unavailable for comment, it appears that those rumors are true  – based on reports from several reliable sources.

”We got an e-mail from our regional sales manager stating that they (company employees) were told yesterday at 3 o’clock that the company was no longer in business,” confirms Andy Heck, president of Alpin Haus, a Coleman dealer in Amsterdam, N.Y., since the 1970s. “We assumed that an announcement would be made to a dealer body as a whole.”

On the other hand, several other Coleman dealers contacted today said they had not been informed of the company’s closure.

Meanwhile, Heck predicts that the Coleman brand, built for a period of years prior to FTCA by Fleetwood Enterprises Inc., will reappear. FTCA was licensing the Coleman brand name from outdoor outfitter The Coleman Company Inc., Wichita, Kan.

”I think someone will take it over,” Heck said. ”It’s too good a brand for someone not to pick it up.”

FTCA was formed in 2008 by Bethesda, Md.-based investment firm Blackstreet Capital Management LLC, which bought the Somerset plant from Fleetwood.

Coleman itself built popups in Somerset from 1967 to 1989 when Fleetwood purchased the company.

Fleetwood built Coleman popups until 2003 when Fleetwood and Coleman parted ways.

How To Get Ex Boyfriend Back

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [Facebook] [Google] [StumbleUpon]

Comments

7 Responses to “Coleman Popup Builder FTCA Inc. Closes”

1. paul e barnes on February 8th, 2011 10:23 pm

I’m looking for a list of Coleman pop up camper dealers tthat might have the parts I need to fix my 94 camper, please let me know

2. Roger on February 13th, 2011 10:10 am

I used to be a Coleman dealer and still have some parts.
    What are you looking for?

3. Ron on March 7th, 2011 3:59 pm

I am looking for a top for an Evolution E-3. Was to have been replaced by FTCA under warranty in February…..obviously not going to happen. So, looking for a top.

4. Dan on March 25th, 2011 3:24 pm

I purchased a Coleman Switchback trailer last year to tow behind a street rod, and would like to know how many of these units were built .
    To the best of my knowledge, these were only built for 3 months at the beginning of 2009.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Dan

5. al on April 9th, 2011 3:12 pm

i just found out Coleman no longer exist for camper i was searching for an air conditioner my local dealer is out of business i just thought he could not make it through the recession here in Michigan i surely hope Coleman will take back the business they were the best in their time

6. Larry on May 26th, 2011 8:56 pm

I also have just found out about Coleman, Just a question for Ron or anyone else that might have parts I am looking for a lid ( top) seal for a 97 seapine

7. Kelly Hull on January 28th, 2013 4:03 pm

Midland RV in Michigan is stocking some of the parts needed for the Coleman Popup Campers.
    Midland RV