Rand McNally will kick off its inaugural Best of the Road Rally today (June 23) at Liberty Park in Jersey City, N.J., with Fleetwood RV Inc. serving as the official RV for the event.
According to a press release, the rally will feature a cross-country search for the best small towns in America. Celebrating the great American road trip and the official start to summer, five teams of traveling duos will be handed the keys to a brand-new Saab equipped with Rand McNally’s RVND navigation device.
The teams will depart on a three-week adventure looking for the following categories: friendliest, most beautiful, best for food, most patriotic and most fun towns in America. Each team will be assigned one category for review, which will be unveiled just prior to
• Captain and Clark: Tawny Clark, 25, Bremerton, Wash., and Christopher Staudinger, 25, Pasco, Wash.; a couple who met at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro and dub themselves “modern cartographers,” documenting their travels on their popular blog.
• Fun Finders: Jim Parr, 67, and Bonnie Parr, 65, from St. Petersburg, Fla.; a retired married couple who met in clown school and dedicated their lives to “clowning around” and helping others.
• Gone With the Wynns: Jason Wynn, 29, and Nikki Wynn, 29, from Carrollton, Texas; a married couple who traded in their Dallas home for a life on the road in a fuel-efficient, sustainable RV.
• McNavigators: Daniel Schaub, 36, and JoAnne Schaub, 35, from Cary, N.C.; a happily married couple for 14 years, the Schaubs met in Yellowstone National Park and found that a life on the road brought them together when they were drifting apart.
• Traveling Jules and Traveling Jones: Juliana Broste, 28, and Joan Broste, 62, from Littleton, Colorado; a mother and daughter who have both traveled extensively on their own, but the Best of the Road Rally will be the first time together.