NHTSA Update: RV-Related Recalls for February
The following is a list of RV-related recalls for December 2011 compiled by the National Highway Transportation Safety Association (NHTSA).
• Cequent Performance Products is recalling certain Tow Ready T-One connectors (trailer wiring harness adapters), part number 118542 that were sold in the aftermarket for use on model year 2011 and 2012 Dodge Charger vehicles. Due to an error in the circuit logic, the T-One connector may cause the left (driver) side brake lamp on the trailer to become inoperable while the right (passenger) side turn signal lamp is activated. Cequent will notify owners and replace the T-One connector free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during March 2012. Owners may contact Cequent Customer Service at 1-877-208-2573.
• Tiffin Motorhomes Inc. is recalling certain model year 2011 through 2012 Phaeton and model year 2013 Zephyr recreational vehicles, equipped with a Cummins engine. The V-band clamp assembly used to connect the inlet and outlet cone sections to the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC)/Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) include a T-bolt which can fracture and fail when subjected to stress or load. Tiffin is working with Cummins to identify and notify owners of the recall campaign. Repairs will be performed by authorized Cummins dealers free of charge. Owners may contact Cummins at 1-812-377-5000 or Tiffin at 1-256-356-8661. Cummins recall campaign number is C1154.
• Winnebago Industries Inc. is recalling certain model year 2012 Access, Access Premier and Itasca Impulse and Impulse Silver motorhomes, manufactured from June 28, 2011, through January 25, 2012. The parking brake cable may rub on a metal support under the vehicle. Winnebago will notify owners, and dealers will shorten the metal tube to provide clearance for the parking brake cable, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during March 2012. Owners may contact Winnebago Industries Owner Relations at 1-641-585-6939. Winnebago’s safety recall number is 125.
• Crossroads RV is recalling certain model year 2012 Redwood recreational vehicles manufactured from August 26, 2011, through January 18, 2012, equipped with a hydraulic trailer brake pump. The hydraulic pump could fail and result in a loss of braking in the trailer. Crossroads RV will notify owners, and dealers will replace the hydraulic pumps free of charge. Owners may contact Crossroads RV at 1-888-226-7496.
• Newell is recalling certain model year 2004-2010 motorcoaches manufactured from January 2004 through December 2009, equipped with SE-GI windows. The adhesive bond between the glass portion of the vent panel and hinge may degrade, and the panel may detach and fall from the vehicle. Newell will notify owners but the notification schedule and the recall remedy is to be determined. This service will be performed free of charge. Owners may contact Newell at 1-888-963-9355.
• Winnebago is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 Winnebago and Itasca motorhomes built on a Ford F-53 chassis. The ‘PRNDL’ cable may break at the attachment to the transmission control selector arm assembly mounted on the steering column. If the cable breaks, the transmission gear indicator in the ‘PRNDL’ display in the instrument panel will remain in the first gear position regardless of the gear selected. Winnebago will notify owners, and dealers will replace the transmission selector arm assembly and the ‘PRNDL’ cable assembly, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during March 2012. Owners may contact Winnebago Industries owner relations at 1-641-585-6939.
• Navistar is recalling certain model year 2008-2010 Beaver and certain model year 2009-2011 Monaco, and certain model year 2009-2011 Holiday Rambler recreational vehicles, manufactured from October 25, 2007, through August 26, 2010, equipped with IOTA ITS-50R 50 amp automatic transfer switches. The IOTA ITS-50R 50 amp automatic transfer switch bus bar and/or electrical connections may be inadequate to handle the electrical load. Navistar will notify owners, and dealers will replace the IOTA ITS-50R transfer switch free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or before April 15, 2012. Owners may contact Navistar at 1-800-448-7825. Navistar’s campaign number is 12504.
• Thor Motor Coach (TMC) is recalling certain model year 2010 Windsport and Hurricane motorhomes manufactured from April 27, 2009, through September 3, 2010. On these vehicles, the exhaust system is close to a vehicle storage compartment. Heat can build up in this area. TMC will notify owners, and dealers will install a heat shield to protect the storage compartment from the heat generated by the exhaust. This service will be performed free of charge. TMC has not provided NHTSA with a notification schedule. Owners may contact TMC at 1-877-855-2867. Thor Motor Coach’s safety recall number is RC000042.
• Tiffin is recalling certain model year 2009-2010 Bus, as well as certain 2009-2011 and 2013 Zephyr recreational vehicle chassis equipped with an electronic control module, part number 2791-NN2E-001 or 2791-NN2E-002. When the brake is applied, the cruise control may not cancel. Additionally, these vehicles may exhibit an inadvertent, moderate increase in vehicle speed until the vehicle reaches its governed speed after the cruise control is set. Tiffin will notify owners, and dealers will replace the steering wheel switch and reprogram the module, free of charge. Tiffin has not provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Tiffin at 1-256-356-8661.
• Entegra Coach Inc. is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 Anthem motorhomes manufactured from July 17, 2010, through November 30, 2011. The front tires could become overloaded due to cargo distribution within the storage area. Entegra will notify owners, and dealers will replace tires, and on some models replace the wheels to provide additional load capacity, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during March 2012. Owners may contact Entegra at 1-800-945-4787.
• Dutchmen Manufacturing Inc. is recalling certain model year 2012 Rubicon travel trailers manufactured from October 12, 2011, through February 23, 2012. These vehicles have been manufactured with a frame support located too close to the trailer tires which could result in the support contacting the tires when loaded. Dutchmen will notify owners, and dealers will remove the interfering frame support and install a new frame support, free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin during March 2012. Owners may contact Dutchmen at 1-574-537-0700.