Thor Led in RVs, Forest River in Motors, in 2011
Thor Industries Inc., headquartered in Jackson Center, Ohio, was the top U.S. retailer of towable and motorized RVs combined in 2011, according to Grand Rapids, Mich.-based Statistical Surveys Inc. Forest River Inc.’s combined subsidiaries placed first in motorhomes and second in total RVs.
In towables, Thor posted a 36.6% market share for 2011 followed by Forest River, occupying 31.1% of the market, Jayco Inc., Middlebury, Ind. (12.1%), KZRV LP, Shipshewana, Ind., (3.1%) and Nappanee, Ind.-based Gulf Stream Coach Inc. (2.0%).
The total number of towable RVs retailed in the U.S. in 2011: 172,617 units.
Elkhart, Ind.-based Forest River’s aggregate share for all motorhomes (including Class B’s) was 21.6%, while Thor’s combined divisional share was 19.8%, followed by Winnebago Industries Inc., Forest City, Iowa, (18.3%), Tiffin Motorhomes Inc., Red Bay, Ala. (11.3%) and Fleetwood RV Inc., Decatur, Ind. (10.3%).
Total 2011 motorized retail volume: 21,088 units.
As for a categorical breakdown:
• The travel trailer sector finished the year up 8%.
• Fifth-wheel registrations edged up 2.9% for the 12 months.
• Folding camping trailer sales declined 7.9% for 2011.
• Park model sales fell 5% through December.
• Class A overall sales grew 1.6%.
• Class C sales increased 2.3% for the full year.
• Class B motorhomes ended the year with a 15.3% decline vs. 2010.
Last year, Statistical Surveys also began tracking units sold for rental fleets, which reflected a 27% increase for the year.