Thor Industries Inc., headquartered in Jackson Center, Ohio, was the top U.S. retailer of towable and motorized RVs combined in 2011, according to Grand Rapids, Mich.-based Statistical Surveys Inc. Forest River Inc.’s combined subsidiaries placed first in motorhomes and second in total RVs.
In towables, Thor posted a 36.6% market share for 2011 followed by Forest River, occupying 31.1% of the market, Jayco Inc., Middlebury, Ind. (12.1%), KZRV LP, Shipshewana, Ind., (3.1%) and Nappanee, Ind.-based Gulf Stream Coach Inc. (2.0%).
The total number of towable RVs retailed in the U.S. in 2011: 172,617 units.
Elkhart, Ind.-based Forest River’s aggregate share for all motorhomes (including Class B’s) was 21.6%, while Thor’s combined divisional share was 19.8%, followed by Winnebago Industries Inc., Forest City, Iowa, (18.3%), Tiffin Motorhomes Inc., Red Bay, Ala. (11.3%) and Fleetwood RV Inc., Decatur, Ind. (10.3%).
Total 2011 motorized retail volume: 21,088 units.
As for a categorical breakdown:
• The travel trailer sector finished the year up 8%.
• Fifth-wheel registrations edged up 2.9% for the 12 months.
• Folding camping trailer sales declined 7.9% for 2011.
• Park model sales fell 5% through December.
• Class A overall sales grew 1.6%.
• Class C sales increased 2.3% for the full year.
• Class B motorhomes ended the year with a 15.3% decline vs. 2010.
Last year, Statistical Surveys also began tracking units sold for rental fleets, which reflected a 27% increase for the year.