Jayco Touts Results of Sustainability Program
Jayco Inc. announced the initial results from its industry-leading EcoAdvantage sustainability program — the company’s long-term commitment to environmentally-sensitive use of resources.
According to a press release, through the companywide sustainability initiative Jayco and its three operating divisions – Jayco Inc., Starcraft RV Inc. and Entegra Coach Inc. – are “creating better ways to build better RVs using fewer or renewable natural resources.”
The EcoAdvantage program is a collaborative effort launched in 2011 among Jayco employees and suppliers, and it has produced measurable results. During 2011, Jayco conserved:
• Enough electricity to power 980 homes in a year.
• Enough landfill space to accommodate the disposal needs of a community of 31,330 Americans for a year.
• Enough water to fill 111,020 kiddie pools.
• Enough gas to make 21.4 trips around the earth in a car.
Additionally, through aggressive recycling efforts, Jayco saved 41,217 trees.
The 44-year-old company also cited the initiative’s long-term prospects. Among its sustainability goals over the next five years, Jayco has pledged to:
• Be 100% landfill free by the year 2015 by eliminating or recycling all manufacturing and office waste.
• Significantly reduce fresh water use in product testing and other processes around the complex by increasing use of reclaimed rainwater.
• Conserve energy with a 40% reduction of utility use by 2014.
• Improve overall efficiency by streamlining. administrative paperwork, production processes and construction methods.
• Remain the sustainability leader within the RV industry.
Wilbur Bontrager, Jayco chairman and CEO noted, “At Jayco, sustainability means meeting our current manufacturing and resource needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs. We build products that allow our customers to enjoy the outdoors, so it only makes sense that we should strive to be a good corporate citizen and a good steward of the environment.”