- RV Business - http://www.rvbusiness.com -
Baird: May Shipments Yield MH, Trailer Growth
Posted By RVBusiness On June 25, 2012 @ 1:43 pm In Breaking News | No Comments
Editor’s Note: Robert W. Baird & Co. issued a client newsletter to investors following the May shipments report from the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA). The following offers a summary of the results.
May shipments up 6%. Total RV wholesale shipments improved 6% in May on growth in both motorhomes and towables. The trend represents an acceleration from a weak start to the year in motorhomes and a slowdown in towable shipments — possibly reflecting relatively lower dealer inventory in motorhomes heading into the summer months.
• Towable shipments up 6%. Travel trailer shipments grew 9%, while fifth-wheel shipments fell 3%. Wholesale growth slowed in May following a stronger April (+14%). Through the first five months of 2012, towable shipments were up 11%.
• Motorhome shipments up 5%. Class A shipments improved 8%, while Class C shipments grew 3%. Motorhome shipments grew in May due to lean dealer inventory and an easier prior-year comparison. Through the first five months of 2012, motorhome shipments were down 2%.
• Winnebago results. Winnebago recently reported motorhome shipments flat in its May quarter, versus a 3% decline in industry shipments over the same period, implying a modest share gain in motorhomes.
• SAAR. We calculate a seasonally adjusted annual rate of shipments. The SAAR of motorhome shipments increased to 30.5K units in May, from 23.6K units in April (24.8K units were shipped in 2011). The SAAR of towable shipments increased to 264K units in May, from 228K units in April (213K units were shipped in 2011).
This summary of a Baird research report is not intended as investment advice. To participate in Baird surveys and receive research reports, contact Craig R. Kennison, CFA, at email@example.com.
Article printed from RV Business: http://www.rvbusiness.com
URL to article: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2012/06/baird-may-shipments-yield-mh-trailer-growth/
Copyright © 2009 RV Business. All rights reserved.