NHTSA Update: List of RV Recalls During May
The following is a list of RV-related recalls for May compiled by the National Highway Transportation Safety Association (NHTSA).
• Forest River Inc. is recalling certain model year 2010-2012 Georgetown recreational vehicles built on a Ford stripped chassis, manufactured from February 15, 2010, through November 29, 2011. The gear shifter’s cable may break at the attachment to the transmission control selector arm assembly mounted on the steering column. Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will replace the transmission selector arm assembly and the cable assembly, free of charge. Owners may contact Forest River at 1-574-295-8749.
• Featherlite is recalling certain model year 2006-2012 trailers equipped with a Meritor axle. The bearing system has exhibited low durability life in certain vehicle applications. Featherlite is working with the Meritor to identify and repair the vehicles that contain the subject axles free of charge. The recall began on May 24, 2012. This recall campaign supersedes previous recall campaign 11V-396. Trailers that were repaired under the previous campaign will also need to be repaired under this campaign. Owners may contact Featherlite at 1-563-547-6000.
• Newmar Corp. is recalling one model year 2012 Kountry Aire FW and one model year 2012 Kountry Star FW fifth-wheel trailers equipped with Dexter electric/hydraulic (E/H) brake actuator pumps. Some of these pumps may not have been properly heat-treated. The E/H brake actuator provides braking power to the trailer brakes. Newmar will notify owners, and Dexter will replace the actuators, free of charge. Newmar has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Newmar at 1-574-773-2007.
• Prevost Car Inc. (Prevost) is recalling certain model year 2009-2013 Volvo 9700 motor coaches. On some vehicles, the quantity of emergency exit windows is insufficient to comply with the requirements of Federal motor vehicle safety standard no. 217, “Bus emergency exits and window retention and release.” Prevost will notify owners, and dealers will install an additional emergency exit window, free of charge. An interim notification will be completed by mid-July 2012, but parts are not expected to be available until September 2012. Owners may contact Prevost Car Inc. At 1-866-870-2046 or 1-418-883-2888. The Prevost recall campaign number is SR12-57.
• Forest River is recalling certain model year 2012 and 2013 Surveyor travel trailers, manufactured from August 12, 2011, through April 6, 2012. On certain floorplans, the liquid propane (LP) gas line was routed and fastened along the bottom of the frame rail. When the trailer hits a bump, the positioning of the LP gas line may allow the “U” bolt on the axle to pinch the line between the main rail and the “U” bolt. Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will re-route the LP line, free of charge. The recall began during May 2012. Owners may contact Forest River at 1-574-389-4600.
• Forest River is recalling certain model year 2010-2011 Stealth recreational trailers. The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and cargo carrying capacity specification is incorrect on the Federal certification label and the tire information label. These vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Part 567, “Certification.” Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will remove and replace the labels with corrected labels. The safety recall began during May 2012. Owners should contact Forest River at 1-909-873-3777.
• Tiffin Motorhomes Inc. is recalling two model year 2012 Phaeton recreational vehicles built on a Spartan chassis and equipped with 3030 brake chambers. These vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 121, “Air Brake Systems” because they do not meet the park brake and draw bar requirements. The park brake may not be sufficient to hold the vehicle in place. The affected vehicles have not been sold yet and Tiffin has notified the dealers that are in possession of the vehicles. Spartan dealers will install improved brake chambers prior to sale. Owners may contact Tiffin Motorhomes at 1-256-356-8661.
• Crossroads RV is recalling certain model year 2011 Crossroads Cruiser recreational trailers, manufactured from August 5, 2010, through December 15, 2010. These vehicles were manufactured with incorrect information on the federal identification tag, tire and loading information label and the recreational vehicle cargo carrying capacity label. Thus, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 120, “Tire selection and rims for motor vehicles other than passenger cars.” Crossroads will notify owners and provide corrected labels. Owners may contact Thor Industries Inc. at 1-937-596-7965 or Crossroads at 1-260-593-2866.
• Foretravel Motorcoach is recalling certain model year 2007-2010 Phenix and 2007-2011 Nimbus recreational vehicles equipped with SE-GI windows. The adhesive bond on some panels between the glass portion and the hinge may de-bond, allowing the panel to detach and fall from the vehicle. Foretravel will notify owners, and is working with SE-GI products to develop remedy instructions and obtain parts. The recall is expected to begin during June 2012. Owners may contact Foretravel Motorcoach, Inc. at 1-800-547-0712.
• Motor Coach Industries, Inc (MCI) is recalling certain model year 2009-2011 D4000, D4500 and 2010 D4505 motor coaches and equipped with LED interior lights powered by either a Vansco or IO multiplex system. Due to excessive power draw of the LED lights, heat may build up at the fuse block and connector, causing components to melt. MCI will notify owners, and dealers will install re-designed wiring, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during June 2012. Owners may contact MCI at 1-866-624-2622. MCI’s recall campaign number is 388.