No Injuries in Friday Fire at Woody’s RV World
A blaze Friday (July 13) evening at Woody’s RV World in Alberta had fire crews busy as they attacked flames on the south side of the building.
The Alberta Daily Herald reported that the fire started at approximately 6:45 p.m. from what a witness says was a garbage can that caught on fire on the outside of the building.
Dave Fjellner, sales manager for the business, says he was alerted of the fire when staff started to smell smoke.
“We were all working away then we just smelled smoke,” said Fjellner. “We were like ‘What the heck?’ and we looked outside and…it was a trash can on fire.”
Fjellner suspects the trashcan caught on fire and ignited the wood structure beneath the building.
“It went up just like a chimney and part of the pillar just collapsed,” he added. “We were throwing buckets of water on it to try and contain it.”
After noticing that the fire made its way to the roof of the building, one staff member called the fire department immediately.
Deputy fire chief Dan Verdun, who was the incident commander for the blaze, says when his crews arrived, the blaze was mostly on the inside of the building.
“When we first arrived on scene, we had heavy smoking showing from (the south) side of the structure and the fire seemed to be contained within the false parapet wall – our crews initially hit it externally and managed to get the flames extinguished,” said Verdun.
No injuries have been reported as a result of the fire.