Kampgrounds of America Inc. (KOA) recognized members for longevity during last weekend’s International Convention at the Gaylord Palms Resort in Orlando, Fla., which marked KOA’s 50th year of operation.
According to a press release, Duane Spader, owner/operator of the Sioux Falls, S.D., KOA Campground, was honored for 40 years of service with KOA.
“Duane got involved in our industry because he moved his recreational vehicle dealership from Brookings, S.D., to Sioux Falls to a location that had a campground next to it,” recalled KOA President Pat Hittmeier. “At the time, the campground belonged to a franchise called Teepee Town Inc., but Duane soon converted the park to be a KOA.”
Hittmeier said Spader was instrumental in leading the KOA system to adopt a “20-group” system that encouraged franchisees to share operational best practices and advanced many programs quickly throughout the KOA system.
“Today, Spader 20 Groups are involved in 10 different industries,” Hittmeier said. “Duane was also a leader in making improvements. He basically worked with KOA in the 1970s to modify more than two-thirds of the park, bringing in more than 30,000 cubic feet of dirt to get it right.”
KOA also recognized the Scialdo Family, owners of the Herkimer Diamond KOA in N.Y., for 30 years of service.
“Our 30-year partnership award to the Scialdo family is a long overdue recognition for a wonderful family and a great KOA partner,” said Hittmeier. “Many years ago my family and I were invited to spend a number of days on the Herkimer KOA, and I can tell you that it is still one of the highlights from when my kids were young and I still remember the warm welcome and hospitality, the great connection this family has with each other and with their guest, the enthusiasm they have for their many businesses the fun exciting way they approach their lives each day.
On hand to receive the award were Rudy and Rena Scialdo, as well as Dr. Renee Scialdo Shevat and husband Sam Shevat, current owners and operators of the campground and Herkimer Diamond Mine.
Eight KOA franchisees were honored for 20 years of service, including:
• Jay and Carol Coates, Durango, Colo., KOA
• Paul and Cam Friesen, Watkins Glen, N.Y., KOA
• The Bruice and Gilkeyson Families, Asheville East, N.C., KOA
• Ken and Kathryn Harris, Medford/Gold Hill, Ore., KOA
• Recreation Adventures Company, Astoria/Warrenton/Seaside, Ore., KOA
• The Bergeron Family, Gettysburg Battlefield, Pa., KOA
• Lynne Joannette and Christian Renaud, Montreal West, Quebec KOA
John and Cindy Simoneau, Placerville, Calif., KOA
KOA also recognized 20 franchises for 10 years of service, including:
• Bruce and Andrea Bryant, Milton/Gulf Pines, Fla., KOA
• David and Linda Waszak, LaSalle/Peru, Ill., KOA
• John and Carole Downing, Rock Island/Quad City, Ill., KOA
• Hope Perkins and Nick Harrison, Elkhart Co./Middlebury, Ind., KOA
• Larry and Nancy Babyak, Saco/Old Orchard Beach, Maine KOA
• Frank and Melinda Christianson, Jackson, Minn., KOA
• Leigh Ashley and Frances Prior, Niagara Falls N/Lewiston, N.Y., KOA
• Victor and Kathleen Arsenault, Canandaigua/Rochester, N.Y. KOA
• Garry and Vicki Cole, Shelby/Mansfield, Ohio KOA
• Jerry and Barbara Dale, Manchester, Tenn., KOA
• The Moldenhauer Family, Bear Lake/Garden City, Utah, KOA
• John and Brenda Kelley, Holbrook/Petrified Forest, Ariz., KOA
• Thomas and Sarah Martin, Buena Vista, Colo., KOA
• Gene and Michelle Rowland, Renfro Valley, Ky., KOA
• Donald Cloutier and Elizabeth McCann, Skowhegan/Canaan, Maine KOA
• Denzil and Deborah Matthews, Las Vegas N.M., KOA
• David and Valencia Fetterolf,, Elk City/Clinton, Okla., KOA
• Martin and Ellen Henion, Mercer/Grove City, Pa., KOA
• Thomas and Kevin Lumsden, Dallas NE/Caddo Mills, Texas KOA
• Kevin and Kathy Wright, Brigham City/Perry South, Utah KOA