NHTSA Update: February’s RV-Related Recalls
Editor’s Note: The following is a list of RV-related recalls for January compiled by the National Highway Transportation Safety Association (NHTSA).
• Forest River Inc. is recalling certain model year 2013 Concord, Leprechaun, Freelander, Lexington, Forester andn Sunseeker Class B and C motorhomes built on Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana chassis. It may be possible to remove the key from the ignition when the vehicle is running or the transmission is not in the Park position. As such, these vehicles fail to conform to the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 114, “Theft Protection.” General Motors (GM) will notify owners on behalf of Forest River. GM dealers will replace the ignition lock cylinder and the two associated keys. This service will be performed free of charge. The recall began on Feb. 28. For more information, GMC owners may call 1-866-996-9463 and Chevrolet owners may call 1-800-630-2438. Owner’s may also contact Forest River at 1-574-389-4600.
• Prevost Car Co. is recalling certain model year 2008-2013 X3-45, H3-41 and H3-45 coaches, model year 2011-2013 H3-45 VIP coaches, model year 2012-2013 X3-45 VIP coaches, and model year 2009-2013 XLII-45 Entertainer coaches manufactured from May 16, 2007, through Feb. 6, 2013 and equipped with Volvo engines. Certain conditions may cause the affected coaches to go into a software mode that would result in the throttle signal being fixed at 1700 rpms regardless of throttle pedal input from the driver. Prevost will notify owners and dealers will remedy the affected coaches free of charge. A notification schedule has not been provided. The Prevost recall campaign number is SR13-07.
• Keystone RV Co. is recalling certain model 2013 Springdale 266RLSSR and 267BHSSR travel trailers, manufactured from Nov. 19, 2012, through Feb. 5, 2013. These vehicles were manufactured with the incorrect information on the Federal Identification Tag and Tire and Loading Information Label. The tire inflation pressure is incorrectly listed as 448 KPA (65 PSI) instead of 345 KPA (50 PSI). Thus, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 120, “Tire Selection and Rims for Motor Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars.” Keystone will notify owners and provide corrected labels. The recall began on Feb. 27. Owners may contact Keystone at 1-866-425-4369. Keystone’s recall number is 13-189.
• Navistar International Corp. is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 Workhorse Custom Chassis LLC W42 and W62 vehicles, manufactured from July 18, 2011, through July 12, 2012, and equipped with hydraulic brakes. The brake fluid level indicator (FLI) may not properly detect a low brake fluid level situation and warn the driver. Navistar will notify owners, and dealers will replace the FLI switch free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin by April 22. Owners may contact Navistar at 1-800-448-7825. Navistar’s recall campaign number is 13503.
• Prevost is recalling certain model year 1993 thru 2013 model H3-40, H3-41, H3-45, and H3-45 VIP Prevost coaches manufactured from December 1993 through Feb. 12, 2013. Under certain conditions, the drag link collar position combined with an over torque of the collar retaining bolt may create a contact with the pitman arm. Prevost will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles and replace any affected drag link, free of charge. The manufacturer has not provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Prevost at 1-418-883-2888. Prevost’s recall campaign number is SR13-08.
• Northwood Manufacturing LLC is recalling certain model year 2013 Arctic Fox 29-5K and 29-5T fifth wheel trailers; model year 2013 Desert Fox 29SB toy hauler trailers; model year 2013 Fox Mountain 235RLS and 285RLS fifth wheel trailers; and model year 2013 Snow River 266RDS travel trailers. These vehicles were manufactured with incorrect information on the Federal Identification Tag, Tire and Axle Information Label and the Trailer Weight Information Label. Thus, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 120, “Tire Selection and Rims for Motor Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars.” Northwood will notify owners and provide corrected replacement labels free of charge. Northwood mailed labels on March 13. Owners may contact Northwood at 1-800-766-6274.
• Keystone is recalling certain model year 2013 Montana fifth-wheel vehicles manufactured Jan. 16, 2013, through Feb. 18, 2013; and 2013 Fuzion fifth-wheel vehicles manufactured Jan. 22, 2013, through Feb. 18, 2013. These vehicles are equipped with Progressive Dynamics power converters with serial number prefix A13014 through A13039. The converters have a internal components that may short circuit. Keystone will notify owners, and dealers will replace the affected internal components of the power converter, free of charge. The recall will begin in March. Owners may contact Keystone Customer Service by calling 1-866-425-4369. Keystone’s recall campaign number is 13-191.