- RV Business - http://www.rvbusiness.com -
Thor 2Q Earnings Up 45%; Revenue Rises 24%
Posted By RVBusiness On March 8, 2013 @ 1:35 pm In Breaking News | No Comments
Thor Industries Inc. announced double-digit gains in revenue and earnings for its fiscal second quarter, ended Jan. 31.
Sales for the second quarter totaled $741.6 million, up 24% from $597 million in the second quarter last year, while net income was $19.9 million, up 45% from $13.7 million in the prior-year second quarter. Diluted earnings per share (EPS) for the second quarter were 37 cents, up 48% from 25 cents in the second quarter last year.
For the six months, sales totaled $1.617 billion, up 27% from $1.270 billion in the prior-year period. Net income during the period was $50.9 million, up 41% compared to $36 million in the first six months of fiscal 2012. Diluted EPS were 96 cents versus 66 cents in the prior-year period.
The overall effective tax rate for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 was 22.1% compared to 36.4% for the second quarter last year and was favorably impacted by the settlement of certain state uncertain tax benefits and the retroactive reinstatement of various tax credits.
“We are pleased with the continued growth in revenues we were able to achieve in the second quarter,” said Bob Martin, Thor president and COO. “As we have said in our recent press releases, the RV and bus markets remain very competitive, with elevated levels of discounting on certain products. In the first and second quarters, we made the decision to defend our RV shelf space on dealer lots and maintain momentum with our dealers. Similarly, in our bus business we decided to strategically pursue and win certain bus contracts which required more aggressive pricing, including contracts for entry into new markets.”
Highlights from the report included:
• Total RV segment sales were $636.6 million, up 27% from $501.0 million in the second quarter last year. RV segment income before tax was $31 million, up 35% from $22.9 million in the prior-year period. As a percent of revenues, total RV income before tax rose to 4.9% from 4.6% in the prior year as an increase in sales of higher priced units was partially offset by increased discounts and incentives.
• Towable RV sales were $522.8 million, up 18% from $444.2 million in the prior-year period. Income before tax was $24.1 million, up 14% from $21.2 million in the second quarter last year. Towable RV income before tax fell to 4.6% of revenues from 4.8% a year ago, as increasing unit volumes were more than offset by increased discounts and incentives.
• Motorized RV sales were $113.8 million, more than double the $56.8 million in the prior-year second quarter. Income before tax was $6.9 million, up from $1.7 million last year. As a percent of revenues, motorized RV income before tax rose to 6.1% of revenues from 3.1% a year ago, as increased unit volumes resulted in improved operating leverage.
• Bus segment sales were $105.0 million, up 9% from $96.0 million in the second quarter last year. Income before tax was $1.3 million, compared to $2.6 million in the second quarter last year. Bus segment income before tax fell to 1.3% of revenues from 2.7% a year ago as a result of more aggressive pricing on certain contracts.
“Thor generated strong gains in both revenues and net income during the second quarter, driven primarily by continued strength in the RV market,” said Peter B. Orthwein, Thor chairman and CEO. “Our results for the second quarter reflect the dealer optimism that has been building over the past several months, which is now supported by improving retail traffic and sales at the early spring shows. Based on current market trends, we expect continued sales growth and second half operating margins consistent with the second half of fiscal 2012.”
To view the entire report click here.
Article printed from RV Business: http://www.rvbusiness.com
URL to article: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/03/thor-2q-earnings-up-45-revenue-rises-24-4/
Copyright © 2009 RV Business. All rights reserved.