RV Safety Tips Issued at College Football Game

  Print Print

October 28, 2013 by   Comments Off on RV Safety Tips Issued at College Football Game

The carbon-monoxide poisoning death of a Tennessee man at the Talladega Superspeedway over the weekend of Oct. 19 prompted Birmingham, Ala., Fire and Rescue officials to issue RV safety tips for Saturday’s Magic City Classic featuring Alabama A&M against Alabama State University.

“We know that many fans will be attending the football game, indulging in the festivities and spending a considerable time in their campers and RVs,” said Battalion Chief C.W. Mardis.

At Talladega, 46-year-old Craig Franklin Morgan and his wife, Jami Allison Morgan, 38,were found unresponsive by friends in their RV at the South Campground outside the track. Craig Morgan was pronounced dead at the scene.

His wife remains in critical condition and unconscious at UAB Hospital, a spokeswoman said today. Authorities have said the poisoning appeared to be the result of an exhaust system malfunction.

Mardis offered these tips to keep campers and tailgaters safe from fire and carbon monoxide:

* Inspect generator and propane tank connections for leaks and breaks before each use.

* Check your carbon monoxide detector and smoke detector regularly and change the batteries as needed.

* Turn off all appliances after use.

* Have an emergency exit plan: know where the emergency exits are and be sure everyone can open them.

* Make sure you know how to quickly disconnect all power sources in the event of an emergency.

* Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: Headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, confused and sleepy.

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [Facebook] [Google] [StumbleUpon]


Comments are closed.