Florida Dealer Enjoys Gains in Park Model Sales
Demand for park model RVs is rising across Florida driven by the growing numbers of snowbirds, according to a press release.
“Compared to last winter, I think our sales are going to be up by about 20%,” said Mark Kornovich, manager of Winter Haven RV in Lake Wales, which has sister dealerships in Ocala, Okeechobee and Minneapolis, Minn. “I think the recession is definitely behind us.”
Winter Haven RV is the largest park model dealer in Florida and its product line includes units built by Palm Harbor Homes as well as towable and motorized RVs.
Kornovich said the long-term outlook for his business is good, not only because of the strength of demand for park models, but because there is still plenty of space in Florida’s campgrounds, RV parks and resorts to accommodate new units.
About 80% of Winter Haven’s new park models are being placed in private parks in Florida, while the remaining 20% are being used to replace existing park models in RV parks and resorts across the state, Kornovich said.
According to Kornovich, RV enthusiasts often transition into park models after they develop a pattern of going to the same campground, RV park or resort each winter. They make friends with other RVers at the same park and want to continue spending their winters with them, while enjoying the amenities and activities that many RV parks and resorts provide.
Florida park models are 500-square-foot factory-built cottages that are designed to be used as vacation homes or part-time time residences. Park models often come equipped with bay windows and lofts and are usually designed to complement the architectural styles of the resort communities where they are to be used.
Across the U.S., park models are technically classified as recreational vehicles because they sit on a chassis and are built to the ANSI standard. This recreational vehicle designation makes it legal to place park models on permanent sites in campgrounds, RV parks and resorts. In Florida, these units are built to the HUD code and can be built up to 500 square feet in size.
For more information about the growth of the park model business in Florida, contact Kornovich at Winter Haven RV at (863) 439-7576 and visit www.winterhavenrv.net.