- RV Business - http://www.rvbusiness.com -
New Law in Utah Recognizes Park Models as RVs
Posted By RVBusiness On March 28, 2014 @ 8:33 am In Breaking News | No Comments
Utah Gov. Gary Herbert is expected to sign in to law legislation that was supported by the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) and passed by the state’s Senate and House to classify park model RVs as vehicles under Utah law for purposes of registration, titling and taxation.
The legislative initiative in Utah is part of RVIA’s continuing effort to clarify the regulation of park model RVs as a type of RV for state titling and taxation purposes.
Effective on Jan. 1, 2015, the new law:
• Establishes a definition of a park model RV within the motor vehicle code and revises the definition of vehicle to include park model RVs.
• Requires park model RVs to be registered annually.
• Establishes that park model RVs upon registration will be issued a decal in lieu of license plates.
• Requires that 2015 and newer park model RVs must be titled, and allows owners of older park model RVs to request that the DMV issue a title for older park model RV.
• Exempts park model RVs from the requirement for a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection prior to initial registration.
• Exempts park model RVs from the requirement that vehicles over 12,000 pounds GVWR have the GVWR displayed on the left and right sides of the vehicle.
• Clarifies that park model RVs cannot be registered and licensed as part of an interstate fleet.
• Establishes a registration fee for park model RVs based on weight at $69.50 for each park model RV of at least 12,000 pounds gross laden weight but not exceeding 14,000 pounds, plus $19 for each 2,000 pounds above 14,000 pounds.
• Excludes park model RVs from the Motor Vehicle Business Regulation Act (car franchise law).
• Includes park model RVs in the tangible personal property tax provisions and establish a tax rate equivalent to that of a travel trailer.
The full text of the bill can be found here: http://le.utah.gov/~2014/bills/hbillamd/hb0199s01.htm.
Article printed from RV Business: http://www.rvbusiness.com
URL to article: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2014/03/new-law-in-utah-recognizes-park-models-as-rvs/
Copyright © 2009 RV Business. All rights reserved.