Hamilton, New Zealand-based Caravans International Munro today (May 6) confirmed it will cut 64 jobs.
The company, which builds and rents motorhomes and caravans (trailers), said it had been hit particularly hard by a drop in tourist numbers brought on by the global recession, according to the Otago Daily Times.
A division of Tourism Holdings Ltd., CI Munro reported a loss of $3.2 million in the six months ending Dec. 31.
“The decision to cut jobs was based solely on the current global economic conditions and lack of demand for the recreational vehicles, private motorhomes and caravans the company produces,” Tourism Holdings CEO Grant Webster said.
“It is important to note that the decision is not a reflection on the team at Ci Munro.” The reduction in the size of the business was based on expected volumes over the next 12-18 months, Webster said.
“The changes whilst difficult place the business on a much more secure footing and whilst nobody can predict the future we are here to support this business and we will do so with a positive outlook,” he said.
The company met with workers and union representatives Tuesday to discuss the planned redundancies.
“The focus from today is on ensuring we provide the right level of support for all those affected and give them the best possible chance to find work elsewhere,” he said.