Top

Last FEMA Trailer is Removed From New Orleans

February 15, 2012 by · 1 Comment 

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) says the last Katrina trailer is now out of the city of New Orleans.

“Another page has turned in New Orleans’ post-Katrina history,” New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said in a news release. “At the end of the day, FEMA trailers were never meant to be permanent housing units, so I’m glad that our code enforcement efforts coupled with FEMA case work has helped individuals transition to permanent housing.”

The mayor says they have moved 230 FEMA trailers out over the past 14 months.

“For more than six years, temporary housing units were located on private properties, group and industrial sites, and in commercial mobile home/RV parks across New Orleans while the residents recovered from the devastating effects of Hurricane Katrina,” said FEMA’s Louisiana Recovery Office Deputy Director of Programs Andre Cadogan. “The transition of this final household is a huge success for our agency, the state, the city, local nonprofits, and all others who contributed to helping return normalcy to New Orleans and those who live here.”

Officials say crews removed the last trailer Sunday after the final family moved into a rebuilt home last week.

The trailers were part of what FEMA calls “the largest housing operation in the history of the country.”

In response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, FEMA moved approximately 92,000 families throughout Louisiana into travel trailers, mobile homes and park models.

The agency notes that FEMA has provided approximately $5.8 billion to assist 915,884 individuals and families in Louisiana for hurricanes Katrina and Rita, including $4.2 billion in housing assistance for rent, repairs and replacement housing and $1.6 billion in other needs assistance for such things as furniture, clothing and replacement vehicles.

[Slashdot] [Digg] [Reddit] [Facebook] [Google] [StumbleUpon]

Bottom