Editor’s Note: Kerwin Pyle, resort business director for Resort Parks International, sent this e-mail to the campground chain’s 200 member parks, appealing for aid for a second campground in Massachusetts that was destroyed by a tornado on June 1. There were actually two resorts destroyed in that disaster, Village Green Family Campground and the resort across the road called Quinebaug Cove.
I’m writing today with a special request. On June 1, 2011, a horrible tornado tore through the Northeast – actually right through Springfield, Mass. There were a lot of damage, hadn’t been anything like it there in about 50 years. One of the victims was a good friend of ours, the Quinebaug Cove Resort (QCCR), an RPI affiliate. They were totally destroyed by the tornado. As a result of this disaster, hundreds of families lost a place they have called home for many years. About 100 folks at QCCR lost MH rigs, cars, trailers, park models, decks, AZ add-on rooms … they lost it all. When you view the pictures I’ve attached, you’ll see how truly tragic it all is.
The resort, we’re told, was insured and will be able to repair, rebuild and reopen.
Unfortunately, most of the individuals affected were older campers, seniors and retired folks, with no insurable value. They are, sadly, on their own. But this is where we can step in. These displaced people need our help. This type of catastrophe could happen at your own resort, these could be your members struck by unimaginable loss.
The QCCR owners’ board has established a Disaster Relief Fund for those who have been so terribly impacted by the tornado. The fund is set up and ready to accept donations at the TD Bank in Sturbridge, Mass. What we’re requesting is that you consider putting a donation jar at your check-in counter and asking your members to donate $1 or $1 for each night they camp with you. (Here’s an idea: In turn, you could then give them a ticket good for a hotdog or at your store, just for donating.) In fact, I would appreciate you collecting these donations clear through the Labor Day weekend.
RPI will send you a participation award to hang on the wall when you contribute your first $100 to the fund. Let’s get together and make this work. If everyone does a little, it helps a lot! Here’s the best way to do it:
• Collect $100 in donations
• Write a company check made out to “QCCR Relief Fund” and send it to RPI at 2901 Cherry Ave, Signal Hill, CA 97055
• RPI will forward the funds to the bank and keep track of your contributions
• For each $100 contribution from your resort, we will add your name to a drawing for a condo week. The retail value is worth $700 and up! We will announce the winner in September.
• RPI will send you the participation award when we receive your first $100 contribution.
Want to help me make a Quick Start Difference? Send your check now for the first $100, I mean, right now. That’s a Quick Start, for sure. Sincerely, Kerwin Pylekpyle@resortparks.com562-595-8818 x 141.
* Winner will receive a certificate good for one bonus week condo booked through Preferred Access. Certificate will be valid through June 30, 2012. Certificate may not be redeemed for cash.