For the first time, the New Mexico RV, Boat and Travel Show will feature more fuel-efficient, high-tech and maneuverable-designed RVs, according to organizers.
The show takes place at the Albuquerque Convention Center from March 25 to 27, the New Mexico Business Weekly reported.
“Even when fuel prices rise, 80% of RVers say their vacations still cost less than traditional vacations because today’s RVs are less taxing on the environment, averaging 15 miles per gallon,” Show Manager Jim Sibert said. “Fuel prices would need to more than triple from their current level to make RVing more expensive for a family of four, compared to conventional forms of travel.”
According to the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA), the fastest growing group of RV owners is young families, between 18 and 34 years old.
“The new breed of RV fits the times we’re living in. They are more aerodynamic, maneuverable and lighter-weight than the stereotypical gas guzzlers of yesteryear,” Jeff McCartney, general manager of Myers RV Center in Albuquerque, said.
Myers RV is one of six New Mexico RV dealers that plan to participate in the show.
Attendees can expect to see:
- Lightweight, low-profile motorhomes, aerodynamically designed for an average 15 miles per gallon diesel.
- Gas-powered, compact motorhomes on Sprinter van chassis, offering 16-20 mile per gallon.
- Motorhomes and travel trailers built with all-composite and recycled materials.
- Downsized, yet spacious, lightweight travel trailers to tow with smaller trucks, SUVs, crossovers and minivans.
- Utra lightweight, composite construction folding camping trailers that can be towed by compact cars.
- Solar and hybrid systems to reduce generator use and noise; solar awnings; LED light fixtures; and lighter weight appliances.
- Energy Star rated appliances and sealants; green textiles; eco-friendly and sustainable bamboo flooring; and eco-friendly holding tank chemicals.
Organizers said there will be travel booths, national exhibitors, demonstrations and activities. Ultimate Camp Cooking celebrity chefs Pat Mac and Mike Faverman will provide cooking tips, outdoor cooking techniques and cost-saving recipe favorites.
Those who purchase an RV at the show will receive an “RV Getaway Gift Package” valued at $500.